To research what music different audiences enjoy and how they access it, I conducted a survey of 6 people from several different target audiences. The results are shown below.
|click to enlarge|
- Age is an important factor in music consumption:
- Younger people seem to enjoy newer genres such as hip hop, dubstep and indie music, whereas older people enjoy more classic genres such as jazz, country and soul. However, this is not he case for everyone as on of the teenage boys I surveyed enjoys jazz music.
- Young people have different ways of acquiring music - all of the teenagers I surveyed download it illegally and for free, whereas the adults tend to pay for their music.
- However, the methods of consuming music are similar for people of all ages.
- Gender is probably not an important factor:
- Each person I surveyed enjoys a different blend of genres, with some overlapping. Both the teenage boys enjoy hip hop, but one of the boys and one of the girls both enjoy rock music.
- All of them listed music as an interest, suggesting that music plays an important role many peoples' lives.